Migrating the Data
Migration refers to the process of moving people or things from one place to another. Data migration is defined as the movement of data from one environment to another or from one system to another. Data migration is the process, which is used very widely in any IT industry. In this article, we will explain to you the reasons of data migration, the basic steps of data migration, types of data migration, and the disadvantages of data migration and finally, we will talk a little about StarWind Virtual Tape Library.
Reasons for Data Migration:  
Many times, this question arises in our minds that why is data migration given so much importance in our daily IT activities. Some of the most important reasons for data migration are as follows:  
● You might need to upgrade your servers on which your data is stored, so you temporarily need to transfer your data from one server to another until the maintenance process is done.
● You want to replace your data storage medium because it is obsolete so you need to migrate your data.
● You are moving your data center from one location to another so you need to move your data as well.
Basic Steps of Migrating the Data:
Data migration is a complete process, which is composed of multiple phases. The basic steps of data migration are listed below:
➢ Planning- It is the first and the most important step in data migration because the success of the whole process relies on this step. During this step, the data to be migrated is carefully analyzed and data storage mechanism is decided. The pros and cons associated with that particular data migration are also studied carefully during this phase. 
➢ Migration- In this step, the actual migration is performed which means that the data is transferred from one location to another as planned in the previous phase.
➢ Data Verification- This is the second most important step in the data migration process. During this step, the migrated data is carefully analyzed in order to look for any flaws that might have occurred because of data migration. It is also tried to recover any data that might have lost or corrupted due to data migration.
Types of Data Migration:
The most important types of data migration are as follows:
● Storage Migration- This type of data migration is performed when you want to change the storage medium of your data i.e. disks, tapes etc.
● Database Migration- This type of data migration is done to change the underlying database without changing the actual data.
● Application Migration- This type of data migration is performed when you change your vendor. In this case, you employ a new vendor to build your applications who work with totally different strategies.
Disadvantages of Data Migration:
The disadvantages of data migration are listed below:
➢ It can give rise to compatibility issues mainly in case of database migration
➢ It can increase the application downtime
➢ It can affect the performance efficiency of your storage medium
StarWind Virtual Tape Library (VTL):
StarWind VTL is designed to make the data migration and backup processes easier to carry out. It is a highly scalable appliance, which can extend its storage capacity as per the user’s requirements. The main benefits of StarWind Virtual Tape Library are listed below:
● Extreme Simplicity
● Return of Investment
In this article, we discussed in detail the process of data migration. We studied why it is important to migrate your data from one place to another. Then we talked about the basic types of data migration followed by the disadvantages of data migration. We also concluded that because of the issues associated with data migration, it is a process, which is difficult to carry out. Finally, we looked how StarWind Virtual Tape Library has made the backup and data migration processes easier and simpler to carry out.